Peace Lutheran Preschool Information
Children learn by doing and through play. They are provided many varied activities that promote readiness skills which prepare for future learning.
Curriculum areas include art, math, language, social studies, science, music, physical education, and religion. Our preschool has a Christian emphasis. Children will sense a loving God and begin to have an understanding of concepts such as sharing, caring, loving, and forgiving.
School is in session from September thru mid May with vacation days similar to the Sioux Falls Public Schools.
For children who are four or five years old by September 1. These are kindergarten readiness classes
MWF 9:00–11:30 a.m. – (90 half days a year)
MWF 12:30–3:00 p.m. – (90 half days a year)
TTh 12:30–3:00 p.m. – (60 half days a year)
For children who are three years old by September 1
TTh 9:00–11:30 a.m. – (60 half days a year)
TTh 12:30– 3:00 p.m. – (60 half days a year)
Peace Lutheran congregation offers a limited amount of scholarship money to families with special financial needs. Contact the preschool director, Sue Olson (361-3683, ext. 18, or email@example.com), for information.
Classes are taught by teachers with many years experience in early childhood education. Teaching assistants are also experienced in working with preschool children. The teacher/child ratio is 1/8 or 1/9. Our teachers are DeAnna Prince, Cindi Klien and Shelley Bitz.
• Opening, circle time – worship and Bible stories, announcing the theme
• Art, crafts, learning activities – creative and constructive
• Gym time – large motor activities, games, moving to music, riding toys, climbing apparatus
• Free play – learning games, dramatic play, trucks, blocks, manipulatives, sensory (sand and water)
• Show and Tell
• Circle time – stories, songs, rhymes, concepts
Some Things Children Do at Peace Lutheran Preschool
• Arts and crafts – Cutting, gluing, drawing, painting (easel, sponge, finger painting, and more)
• Puppet stories
• Puppet play
• Sensory experiences (sand, water play, and more)
• Play dough
• Learning games
• Block building
• Trucks, cars, trains
• Tapes, CDs, and videos/DVDs
• Dramatic play
• Field trips
• Show and Tell
• Finger plays and rhymes
• Songs and music
• Rhythm instruments
• Moving to music
• Riding and climbing toys
• Ball handling
• Learning shapes, sizes, numbers, colors
• Name and number writing
• Stories and folk tales
• Bible stories and religious concepts
• Make friends
Learning by Doing and through Play
Peace Lutheran Preschool admits students of any race, color, and national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, or national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, and athletic and other school-administered programs.